Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Season Wrap Up

Well World Championship has come and gone, and another robotics season is in the books (with the exception of a few off-seasons). The Robowranglers had their ups and downs like any other team, but we came out the other side stronger, smarter, and more like a family then when we started. That is about all I can ask for.

This year started out interesting. A few key mentors from last year left the team for various reasons, and on the student side both pit bosses, two scout leads, and our human player graduated. We also started with 35 students, significantly more then in the previous years. We also decided to attend 3 regionals, which requires more planning, more money, and more time missed from school. The team certinly had it's hands full, but I think we rose to the occasion brilliently. I am so proud of each and every person on the team, as well as the team as a whole. We support each other in everyway we can and we make sure that we all succeed together.

I had the students fill out end of the year surverys this year telling me what they thought worked and didn't work. I also had them tell me how they planned on improving for next year. I was impressed by my kids reflections and insightfulness. But one student's paper stood out to me the most. I worked with this student a lot this year trying to get them to rise to the occasion and not just sit and wait for things to happen to them. It was not an easy season. I checked up on them frequently (could have been considered nagging), and on one occassion I even completely exploded on them. I was brutally honest, more so then I've been with any other student (which is saying alot) and basically told them I was disappointed with their performance and that they didn't deserve to be part of the team. Not one of my finest moments. Back to the story though, this is what the student wrote to me:

I know it doesn't seem like it, but you've really become a role model to me. I realize we have our ups and a whole lot of downs, but I look up to you a lot. Mostly becase you tell me what I need to hear not what I want to hear. This team has impacted me a lot, introduced me to a lot of people, and gave me friendships I hope to keep.

This is the reason that I don't sleep, work 12/16/20 hours a day, travel for two months straight, and treat these kids like they are my own. Being a teacher is a thankless job, in the literal sense of the word, we rarely recieve thank you's ever. This will be the only thank you I need for a long time.
I love the Robowranglers, they are my Texas family.


Cupcakes from my cousins
Super Soking the kids


Team Picnic
  

Our eliminations alliance getting ready,

No comments:

Post a Comment