Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Caves and Soccer...I mean Football


It’s been hard to write the past couple days because I’ve been super busy. And having tons of fun and taking  in new experiences. At the beginning of the week the organizers of the camp told us they wanted to organize a trip to the some famous caves in Italy because it was only about an hour away. I of course said I wanted to go and we ended up going Thursday after camp. We took a big van there and got a tour guide. They were massive. The cave is a couple million years old, but was only discovered in 1974. The first room has a stalagmite (the ones on the floor) in it that was 135,000 years old and was about 25 meters high!! In another room we saw a stalactite (the ones on the ceiling) that was 7 meters long and was about 6 tons. We spent about an hour there and it was amazing, and also only about 50 degrees and was the first time anyone in our group had been cool in 2 and a half weeks.





That night we got back and Italia was playing Germany in the Euro2012 semi-finals. We went to find somewhere to watch it and found that in the town center they  drove in a huge TV screen on the back of a truck and had chairs so everyone in the town could watch together. The streets were all closed and lined with tents of people selling shoes. I figured it was because the woman needed something to do while the men were all watching the game. We ended up finding a table at a café where we could see the screen and ordered this delicious wheat tripel beer. I have to figure out if I can get it in the states because it was awesome. Obviously Italia won and the crowd went crazy. Fireworks, air horns, people running around with flags, and the bar tender even gave our table free orange vodka shots. While walking back to the apartment everyone was waving flags out of their cars and beeping at everyone on the streets. It was so much fun! I have at least 3 entry's that I am in the process of writing I have just been so busy trying to finish up camp, pack, and have fun with my family while they are here. I will be leaving a day earlier then planned (Thursday afternoon) so I can drive back to Rome with my mom and sister so that Meredith can get on her flight early Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment