Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New Camp, New Kids, New Experiences

Well we are half way through the third week of camp and we have moved locations and switched kids. I was assigned to the Level 1 (beginners) again at this camp with one of the other girls. (I am hoping that meant they were happy with my performance in the first two weeks) There are some huge differences between the kids at this camp. Their vocabulary is about the same but their writing and spelling abilities are way lower. But in general they are much better and speaking and know a ton of phrases. We are at a elementary school and there is a playground there which makes productivity at this camp go way down, but the kids are having fun and that is what matters. My kids again love Duck, Duck, Goose and all day every day they ask "Ahhhhdrienne, play Duck?"

After we went over numbers and colors we decided to play Uno with the kids to see how they liked it. Turns out Uno is a pretty widespread game and most of our kids knew how to play, but the ones that didn't caught on quickly and we all have tons of fun. They say "Stopo" for Skip, and "Passo" when they pick up and card and still can't go. They also all conspired against me today and kept making me pick up cards. Luckily I got them back when I won picture Bingo later :-p

One thing I love about this group of kids is anytime we say the word Happy they burst into song. I had never heard of it before so I decided to research it today and I found what they have been singing. It's kind of catchy and I've had it stuck in my head all week because of them.


I am picking up more Italian words and can only slightly communicate to various people around town. I pretty much have the numbers, most of the colors, lots of fruits (because of gelato), and various greetings and common phrases. I wish I was learning more, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment