Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 1

Well I left DFW at 9pm last night, had a quick stop in London and made it to Rome at 5:30 today. I pretty much slept on both flights and was wide awake when I got here. I ended up taking a bus for 4 euros the the center of rome and I was going to take a train to my hotel, but I got a little overwhlemed so when a guy saw me he offered me a taxi ride. But when I got in the taxi it won't start. (me and cars these days) The driver messed around with a few things and then it magically worked. 2.5 hours after I landed I was finally able to get my stuff all up into my hotel room that is the size a bath tub :-p and then asked the hotel where he thought I should get dinner. He recommended this place, which was about a 5 minute walk.
I ended up sitting next to another woman that was by herself from the Philippines, and we ended up chatting for the whole dinner. She has been in Italy 2 months and this is her last stop. She was very pleasant to chat with and she recommend a first course to me. Caciofiore Del Contadino, which is a salad with Pecorino cheese, pears, and honey. I was going to take a picture of it but I gobbled it down in about 10 seconds. It was incredibly delicious! For my pasta choice I had Mezzemaniche Alle Noci, which was ravioli with a walnut cream sauce. It was divine. Here's where things get interesting. I decided after dinner I wanted to walk to the Colosseum so I could see it at night. I had a map and didn't look to far away. So I start walking and I'm on the right path, until all of a sudden I wasn't. Being the stubborn person I am I kept walking because I was sure I was just looking at the map wrong. But about 30 minutes later I realize I am completely lost, and can't even find where I am on my map. So I go into a restaurant and ask for directions. They tell me I am super far from my hotel but there is a bus that will take me there at the bus stop around the corner. So I go and wait and wait and wait. Finally a cab pulls up (by this time it's 10:30pm) So I jump in and show him where I'm going. About 30 seconds into the ride I realize there is not anything in his car that shows he is a cab driver. So I start to panic. I thought more then once about jumping out of a moving car. We drove around for a long time and I knew we weren't even close to the hotel. Then I finally understand him enough to get out of it that he wanted to drive me around to show me things that I haven't seen before. Case and point below:


Rome at night with the moon in the background. So at this point I've decided that this guy probably isn't going to sell me to be a sex slave or anything so I go along with it a little more. Finally at midnight I am exhausted and he took me back to my hotel and didn't charge me a cent. Definitely a weird and creepy way the start the trip though.
Oh well, I'm headed to Capri for the day tomorrow! I'm sure I'll have tons of pictures!



2 comments:

  1. This is why you need your own reality show. These sort of things only happen to you. It really sounds like an amazing/adventurous night in Rome

    ReplyDelete
  2. A i am crying i am laughing so hard right now... you are amazing and i envy you so much right now... it is not often we are brave enough to take chances and step out of our comfort zomes to do something as adventureous as this... enjoy every second of it!!! see you when you get home!!!

    ReplyDelete